The house was built originally for Dr. Walter Bayne Geikie, Born in Edinburgh in 1830 and educated in Toronto and Philadelphia, Dr Geikie first set up practice in Aurora in 1855.
By the time he moved into his new house on Yonge Street in November 1862, he had a large and successful practice in Aurora and the surrounding area. The young Scot added much to the social and musical life of the town: he lectured at the Mechanics’ Institute, which was devoted to the enlightenment and education of townspeople; he railed against the “whiskey aristocracy” at the Grand Temperance Festival; he helped found the town’s Choral Society. He also commuted to Toronto to lecture in Medicine at the Medical School of Victoria College.
By 1869 his responsibilities in the two chairs of Medicine and Clinical Medicine made commuting so tedious that Dr. Geikie moved to Toronto. Here he became famous as a medical educator, serving as Dean of Trinity Medical College for 32 years until its amalgamation with the University of Toronto Medical School in 1903. During those years Dean Geikie saw to the education of 1600 or more physicians.
He was also a churchman, president of the Toronto City Mission, a member of the Presbyterian Hymnal committee and for 65 years a member of the Upper Canada Bible Society. He died in January of 1917.